Shatter

Before I post this poem, while it is slightly based on some people of my past, I'm not crumbling. Promise. I got a phone call and my friend was all upset, and I got- jazzhands- inspired of whatever :P :)


You fall to pieces
Every time, over something simple
And every time,
I’m there with sense and sensibility,
Calming rationality,
Picking up the pieces
And making it all better.
The human Band-Aid you only think you need,
Stepping on eggshells everywhere she goes around you, turning her grimaces into grins.

But what will you do
When I
Fall apart someday?
It’s happening now,
I’m crumbling like the great city of Rome-
Once strong but crumbling and tumbling to ruins-
Falling apart.
Do you even see it?
If you do, do you care?

When we’re both nothing but dust,
Lying on the floor
What will you do then?

Because let me tell you-
Things will collapse,
Things will break.
Things will fall to the floor
And just…
They won’t survive.

So while you watch it all
Bear with me, thrive,
Watch as the things that fell apart
Gather themselves together
And survive.

I feel a smidge dorky, but this is fun.